Food Related Books and Activities
(Originally produced in cooperation with the Summer Library Reading Program)
2014 Fizz Boom Legumes
Book: Eight Animals Bake a Cake
Author: Susan Middleton Elya
Publisher: Putnam Juvenile; First Impression edition (July 22, 2002)
Age Level: 4 and up
Eight animals - ocho animales - get together to make a cake. Everyone brings an important ingredient, and soon they will have a wonderful pastel. Perfect for non-Spanish speakers as well as Spanish speakers learning English.
- MyPlate poster (available from USDA http://www.choosemyplate.gov/print-materials-ordering.html)
- Brown paper bag with a bowl on it or a real bowl
- Food pictures or food replicas of: eggs, flour, maraschino cherries, pineapple, pecans, salt, sugar, butter and milk.
- MyPlate coloring picture (available at: http://www.choosemyplate.gov/food-groups/downloads/MyPlate/ColoringSheet.pdf
- In the text where it says, “Cat brings the butter so creamy and thick,” say instead,
“Cat brings the butter so creamy and thick along with milk.”
*Put that sentence on a sticky note in the book so you will remember it when you read it.”
Doing the Activity: MyPlate Bakes a Cake
- As you read the story hold up a food picture or food replica, and place it in the bag or bowl.
- When you have finished reading the story choose a child to take 1 item out of the bag or bowl.
- Have them place the item on the MyPlate Poster.
Eggs and pecans to Protein Foods Group
Flour to Grains Food Group
Cherries and pineapple to Fruits Food Group
Milk to Dairy Foods Group
Explain to children that salt, sugar and butter do not have a food group.
Last update: Wednesday, December 07, 2016