Every Food Has a Story
Food Related Books and Activities
(Produced in cooperation with the Summer Library Reading Program)
Book: Maddi’s Fridge
Author: by Lois Brandt
Publisher: Flashlight Press
Age Level: 3 to 6 years
Sofia and Maddi live in the same neighborhood, go to the same school, and play in the same park, but while Sofia’s fridge at home is full of nutritious food, the fridge at Maddi’s house is empty. Sofia learns that Maddi’s family doesn’t have enough money to fill their fridge and promises Maddi she’ll keep this discovery a secret. But because Sofia wants to help her friend, she’s faced with a difficult decision: to keep her promise or tell her parents about Maddi’s empty fridge.
How to play Maddi’s Fridge:
Players move around the board collecting cards and adding them to their fridge and doing physical activities. The objective of the game is to be the first person to fill your Maddi’s Fridge Folder with 2 cards from each of the 5 food groups and 2 Way’s I Can Help Cards.
- Following instructions provided on the Bonus Lesson pdf, Assemble all game pieces, board, cards and pawns.
- Place game board on a flat surface. Place climbing wall beside the gameboard.
- Shuffle all three types of Maddi’s Fridge Cards together: Food Group Cards, Activity Cards, and Ways I Can Help Cards. Place all cards on
Maddi’s Fridge space on the game board with cards facing down so that no player can peek at the front of the cards.
- Give each player a different game pawn. Give each player a Maddi’s Fridge Folder.
- The youngest person goes first. This person draws a Maddi’s Fridge Card and puts it face down through the Rock Wall/ Flip Chute.
• If a player already has 2 cards for each food group they will need to discard the extra cards in the discard/empty fridge pile on the board.
• This is also true if the player has already collected 2 Ways I Can Help Cards.
• ALL physical activities cards should be discarded.
• Once fridge card pile is empty, reshuffle empty fridge/discard pile and place those cards on the fridge card pile.
- Physical Activity Cards
• When a player draws a physical activity card, they are to perform the physical activity for the other players and then discard the activity card in the empty fridge discard pile.
- Game is over...
• When the first person has filled their refrigerator with 2 Food Group Cards for each food group (total of 10 cards) and 2 Ways I Can Help Cards.
• When the Maddi’s Fridge Card comes out of the Rock Wall the player moves their pawn to the closest square that corresponds with the front of their card.
• Follow instructions on the cards for slides, swings, benches, kites and feeding the birds. Two players can be on the same square at one time.
• The player then puts the Card into their Folder on the appropriate side of the fridge.
Last update: Wednesday, December 07, 2016