Food Related Books and Activities
(Originally produced in cooperation with the Summer Library Reading Program)
2014 Fizz Boom Legumes
Book: The Popcorn Book
Author: Tomie dePaola
Publisher: Holiday House
Age Level: 5 and up
Facts about popcorn and two recipes
- Popped popcorn
- Double sided transparency tape
- Multiple copies of corn handout; enough for each child to have one (*Hint: make handout on green construction paper.)
- (Green) Crayons or washable markers if you use green construction paper you will not
need to use crayons or washable markers.
Doing the Activity: Popped Popcorn
- Put random pieces of double sided transparency tape on the handout where the kernels of corn are.
- Let children color corn husk green.
- Give popcorn to children and let them put the popcorn onto the ear of corn where the double sided tape is adhered.
Doing the Activity: Poppin' Popcorn
- Say to children, “Let’s pretend we are popcorn popping.”
- Say, “Stand up and hop up and down like you are popcorn popping.”
- Have children hop several minutes.
Last update: Wednesday, December 07, 2016