MU Extension MU Extension       University of Missouri    ●    Columbia    ●    Kansas City       Missouri S&T     ●    St. Louis - Money Matters - Consumer Action


Feature article: Taxes


Get more of your refund throughout the year

Andrew Zumwalt, M.S., Associate State Specialist, Personal Financial Planning, College of Human Environmental Sciences, University of Missouri Extension


It is nice to get a big refund at the end of the tax year, but if you think about it, that means you were lending the IRS your money interest free. If you would like to get at least part of your refund in your paycheck throughout the year, you may want to consider reducing your withholding.


Your employer is taking too much money from your paycheck for the taxes you will owe. To start getting some or all of the extra money now, change your withholding. Ask your employer for a W-4 form and instructions for changing your allowances so you can get more of your own money before tax time.


For more information about changing your withholding, call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040, ask someone at your local Volunteer Income Tax Assistance site, or contact your local University of Missouri Extension office.






University of Missouri logo links to

Site Administrator:
Copyright  ADA  Equal Opportunity

MissouriFamilies is produced by the College of Human Environmental Sciences,
Extension Division, University of Missouri

Last update: Tuesday, February 07, 2012