Budgeting & Saving
Learning for Better Living
Meal Planning: Stretching Your Dollar
Take time to plan meals, a shopping list and a food
To make the most of your food dollar, you need to:
- Be aware of the foods your family is eating now.
- Know how much you are spending on food.
Plan your meals. Planning meals one week at a time
will help you:
- Save time, energy and money.
- Get adequate nutrition.
- Avoid last minute shopping.
Here are some tips to help when you shop for food:
- Make a shopping list and follow it. Avoid impulse buying.
- Compare stores. Discount food stores and national chains usually offer better prices.
- Compare prices.
- Know the price of each item before you put it in the basket. Check the unit price label on the shelf to be sure.
- Read food labels for ingredients and nutritional information.
- Shop alone and only once a week.
- To avoid crowds, shop early in the day and early in the week.
- Don’t shop when you’re hungry.
- If you have the storage space, buy large size packages. Buying larger sizes may save you money.
Last update: Tuesday, May 05, 2009