Feature Articles: Taxes
Reviewed and adapted with special permission from the IRS by: Suzi McGarvey, Extension Associate, HES Extension, University of Missouri Extension
The Internal Revenue Service has many forms, free publications on a wide variety of topics, and many resources to help you understand and meet tax filing requirements. If you need IRS materials try one of these easy options:
- Internet: You can access forms and publications on the IRS website 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, at IRS.gov. There is a search feature you can use if you know the topic but no the number of the form or publication.
- Phone: Call 1-800-TAX-FORM (1-800-829-3676) to order current year forms, instructions and publications and prior year forms and instructions. You should receive your order within 10 days.
- Walk-in: During the tax-filing season, many libraries and post offices offer free tax forms to taxpayers. Some libraries also have copies of commonly-requested publications. Braille materials are also available. Many large grocery stores, copy centers, and office supply stores have forms you can photocopy or print from a CD.
- Mail: Send your order for tax forms and publications to National Distribution Center, P.O. Box 8903, Bloomington, IL 61702-8903. You should receive your products within 10 days after we receive your order.
- Read Publication 910: The Guide to Free Tax Services identifies the many IRS tax materials and services available. You can also find information about accessing tax materials, filing options, tax publications, tax education and assistance programs.
- Check out Publication 17: This publication is an overview of common tax issues, from stock sales to student loans.
- Information in Spanish: The IRS provides free Spanish-language products and services. On the web, you can locate information and publications in Spanish at www.IRS.gov/espanol or by calling 1-800-829-3676. TeleTax is a toll-free, automated telephone service that provides pre-recorded tax topic messages and refund information. You can call 1-800-829-4477, 24 hours per day, 7 days per week. You can call to speak to a Spanish-speaking IRS representative by calling 1-800-829-1040.
- Earned Income Tax Credit Assistant: This interactive tool can help taxpayers determine if they are qualified for this tax credit. It is available at www.irs.gov/eitc.
- Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Sites: If you live in Missouri, you can find the nearest free income tax preparation site here. Otherwise you can call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 to find your nearest free income tax preparation site.
Source: IRS Tax Tips 2006-13, 2006-09, 2006-10, 2006-11, 2006-020
Last update: Tuesday, May 05, 2009