Feature Articles: Food, Fitness and Eating Well
Ten strategies to eat more fruits
Ellen Schuster, M.S., R.D., associate state specialist, curriculum & staff training coordinator, Family Nutrition Education Programs, Nutritional Sciences, University of Missouri Extension
Fruits should be an important part of your daily diet
because they offer a lot of nutrients and health benefits.
Here are some tips to help you eat more fruits.
1. Make fruits accessible. Put a fruit bowl on the table or
counter and keep cut fruit in an easy-to-reach container in
2. Make it easy - have precut fruits available at work and
3. For extra flavor, color or texture, add fruits to dishes
like mandarin oranges to a tossed salad or pineapple to
4. Use fruit for your dessert choice. A juicy orange or
baked apple makes a great ending to a meal.
5. Choose fruits as snacks. Apples, oranges and dried fruit
travel well and can be eaten on the run.
6. Let your kids help. Kids can choose fruits they like and
be involved in preparing them at home.
7. Be creative! Cut fruit and put it on a stick for a tasty
kabob or make a refreshing fruit smoothie.
8. Top it off. Use fruit as a topping for pancakes, waffles,
cereal or ice cream.
9. Eating canned fruits is a good alternative when fresh
fruits aren’t in season.
10. Visit your local farmer’s market to get good buys. You might learn about fruits you haven’t tried!
Last update: Tuesday, May 05, 2009