Apple Raisin Fiber Bars
May 24, 2009
- 3 cups fiber cereal
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup dried apple slices, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup ground flax seed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- Butter bottom and sides of 8-inch square pan or spray with cooking spray. Place cereal in resealable food-storage plastic bag, seal bag and slightly crush with rolling pin or meat mallet (or slightly crush in food processor).
- In large bowl, mix cereal and nuts; set aside.
- In 3-quart saucepan, heat honey, brown sugar, apples, raisins and cinnamon just to boiling over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in peanut butter. Pour over cereal mixture; stir gently until evenly coated.
- Press mixture evenly into pan with back of wooden spoon. Refrigerate about 1 hour or until set. For bars, cut into 4 rows by 4 rows. Store covered at room temperature. High Altitude (3500-6500 ft): No change.
Nutritional Information - 1 Bar
Total Fat: 5g
Fiber depends on the cereal used
Funded in part by USDA SNAP.
Running out of money for food? Contact your local food stamp office or go online to http://dss.mo.gov/fsd/fstamp/. For more information, call MU Extension's Show-Me Nutrition line at 1-888-515-0016.
Last update: Tuesday, March 26, 2013