Prepared by: Tammy Roberts
University of Missouri Extension
October 4, 2015
Yield: 10 servings
- 5 medium apples
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed and divided
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 1/2 stick (2 ounces) cold, unsalted butter
- 1˝ cups quick cook oats
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Rinse and cut apples in half, lengthwise. Remove any stems. Cut out center core of apple that contains the seeds. Do not peel. Place apples cut side down. Use a sharp knife to cut apples into 1/8-inch slices.
- In a large bowl, combine sliced apples, 1/4 cup of brown sugar, 1 Tablespoon of flour, and cinnamon. Mix well.
- Spray baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Pour apple mixture into baking dish. Spread evenly.
- Dice butter into smaller cubes, using a sharp knife.
- In a medium bowl, combine remaining brown sugar and flour, oats, and butter. Mix with hands until crumbly. Spread oat and flour mixture over apple mixture.
- Bake uncovered on middle rack of oven for 40 minutes or until top is lightly browned or bubbly. Let sit for 15–20 minutes before serving.