Prepared by: Susan Mills-Gray, Nutrition Specialist, University of Missouri Extension
November 26, 2017
Yield: 16 servings (1/2 cup per serving)
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups low-sodium broth
- 1 box low-sodium stuffing mix
- 1½ cups whole grain quick cook rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced apple (from 1 medium apple)
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- In a medium sauce pan, combine 1 cup water with 1/2 cup broth and bring to a boil. Stir in stuffing mix, cover and set aside.
- In a separate medium sauce pan, bring 1½ cups broth to a boil. Stir in rice, cover and reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Add olive oil to a large skillet. Sauté apples, onion and celery until tender.
- Stir together stuffing, rice and apple/onion/celery mix. Serve hot.
Nutrition information per serving
Total Fat: 0.7g (0g saturated fat)
Recipe source: Chris Kendle, “Dining with Diabetes During the Holidays,” Ohio State University Extension
Funded in part by USDA SNAP.
Running out of money for food? Contact your local food stamp office or go online to https://mydss.mo.gov/food-assistance/food-stamp-program. For more information, call MU Extension’s Show-Me Nutrition line at 1-888-515-0016.
Last update: Monday, November 27, 2017