Asparagus and Arugula Pasta Salad
Prepared by: Amy Vance
University of Missouri Extension
March 20, 2016
Yield: 8 servings (1.5 cups per serving)
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, ends trimmed and discarded
- 1 pound whole-wheat pasta any shape
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon (about 3 tablespoons juice, 1-2 tablespoons zest)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar (optional)
- 2 large handfuls fresh baby arugula
- 2/3 cup low-fat or fat-free crumbled feta
- 1/4 cup loosely-packed torn fresh basil (optional)
- black pepper (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425. Place asparagus on cooking sheet and roast until tender crisp (about 15-20 minutes).
- In a large stockpot filled with salted water, cook pasta al dente according to package instructions. Then rinse the pasta with cold water until cooled.
- Chop asparagus into 1-inch pieces. Add asparagus to pasta and return to the stockpot and toss with lemon juice and zest and olive oil (and red wine vinegar, if using) until combined.
- Add in arugula, cheese and basil; toss until combined. Taste and season with black pepper, if needed.
- Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Nutrition information per serving:
Source: Adapted from from http://www.gimmesomeoven.com
Funded in part by USDA SNAP.
Running out of money for food? Contact your local food stamp office or go online to http://dss.mo.gov/fsd/fstamp/. For more information, call MU Extension's Show-Me Nutrition line at 1-888-515-0016.
Last update: Monday, March 21, 2016