Asparagus Fried Rice
Jami Nolen, Nutrition Program Associate
March 4, 2012
As we transition into spring, a new selection of fresh veggies is upon us and asparagus is one of the firsts of the season. Here is a recipe that will have you hanging up your takeout menu!
- 1 cup instant brown rice
- 1 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 6 ounces asparagus spears, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces (about 1/2 bunch)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, thinly sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 4 scallions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup minced carrots
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 4 teaspoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic chili paste
- Combine rice and broth in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover, reduce heat and simmer until the liquid is absorbed, 12 to 14 minutes. Spread the rice out on a large plate and let stand for 5 minutes.
- While the rice is cooling, coat a large nonstick wok or skillet with cooking spray and place over medium heat. Pour in eggs and cook, stirring gently, until just set, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Transfer to a small bowl.
- Heat olive oil in the pan over medium-high heat; add asparagus and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add bell pepper, carrots, scallions, garlic and ginger; cook, stirring, until the vegetables are just tender, about 2 minutes. Add the cooked rice, soy sauce and vinegar to the pan; cook until the liquid is absorbed, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Fold in the cooked eggs. Remove from the heat; stir in sesame oil and sweet chili paste.
(Amount per serving)
Fat: 14 g (2 g sat, 6 g mono)
Cholesterol: 212 mg
Carbohydrates: 46 g
Protein: 14 g
Fiber: 6 g
Sodium: 675 mg
Potassium: 444 mg
Funded in part by USDA SNAP.
Running out of money for food? Contact your local food stamp office or go online to http://dss.mo.gov/fsd/fstamp/. For more information, call MU Extension's Show-Me Nutrition line at 1-888-515-0016.
Last update: Wednesday, March 07, 2012