Asparagus with Gorgonzola Dressing
Jami Nolen, Nutrition Program Associate
April 7, 2013
Spring is in the air! Here is a great salad made with asparagus that is perfect for picnics and outdoor grilling.
- 1 pound green asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled Gorgonzola cheese, divided
- 1 (5-ounce) package mixed salad greens
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place asparagus on a rimmed sheet pan and toss with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Roast for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Combine remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, shallots and next 4 ingredients (through pepper) in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Stir in 1/4 cup cheese.
- Combine asparagus and greens in a large bowl. Drizzle with dressing; toss gently to coat. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cheese.
Fat: 5.5 g
Saturated fat: 1.8 g
Monounsaturated fat: 3 g
Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5 g
Protein: 3.1 g
Carbohydrate: 4 g
Fiber: 1.6 g
Cholesterol: 5 mg
Iron: 1.6 mg
Sodium: 239 mg
Calcium: 63 mg
Funded in part by USDA SNAP.
Running out of money for food? Contact your local food stamp office or go online to http://dss.mo.gov/fsd/fstamp/. For more information, call MU Extension's Show-Me Nutrition line at 1-888-515-0016.
Last update: Tuesday, May 07, 2013