Autumn Toasted Trail Mix
October 11, 2009
After-school snacks are important in order to keep kids (and parents!) energized all day. Here's a quick trail mix recipe featuring nutritious soy nuts, almonds and pumpkin seeds.
24 servings (serving size: 1/4 cup)
- 1 cup soy nuts
- 1 cup whole raw almonds
- 1 cup dried pumpkin seeds
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 2 cups fat-free mini pretzels
- To dry seeds: Spread pumpkin seeds out on paper towels and place on cookie sheet to dry overnight.
- Heat canola oil in large, heavy-bottomed skillet over medium heat.
- Add seasoning to pumpkin seeds, soy nuts & almonds. Then pour nuts & seeds into skillet stirring constantly. When nuts & seeds begin to get golden, start to pop open and release their aroma, they are done.
- Cool slightly. Add dried cranberries and pretzels.
Fat: 10 g (*heart-healthy mono-saturated fat)
Protein: 10 g
Carbohydrates: 31 g
Fiber: 3 g
Sodium: 387 mg
Funded in part by USDA SNAP.
Running out of money for food? Contact your local food stamp office or go online to http://dss.mo.gov/fsd/fstamp/. For more information, call MU Extension's Show-Me Nutrition line at 1-888-515-0016.
Last update: Wednesday, September 30, 2015