BBQ Chicken & Cheddar Foil Packet Dinner
Prepared by: Tammy Roberts,
University of Missouri Extension
September 15, 2013
Yield: 4 servings
- 3 T. barbeque sauce
- 4 small boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (1 pound)
- 2 small unpeeled red potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 red or green bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. black pepper
- 1 ½ C. shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place foil sheet, approximately 12-by-12 inches, on a work surface. Spoon about 1 tsp. of the barbeque sauce in the center of the foil.
- Place one chicken breast half over barbeque sauce and spread another tsp. of sauce over chicken.
- Top with quarter of the potato, bell pepper and onion. Sprinkle with a little of the salt and pepper.
- Fold foil in half to cover contents; make narrow folds along edges to seal.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients to assemble three more packets.
- Place the four packets on a baking sheet and bake for 35 minutes.
- Open foil packets with scissors and carefully pull back edges as contents may be very hot. Sprinkle a quarter of the cheese over the top of each chicken breast and return to oven, unsealed for two minutes or until cheese is melted.
- With a spatula, transfer the contents of each packet onto individual serving plates.
Carbohydrates: 21 grams
Protein: 38 grams
Fat: 4.5 grams
Saturated Fat: 2.5 mg
Fiber: 2 grams
Funded in part by USDA SNAP.
Running out of money for food? Contact your local food stamp office or go online to http://dss.mo.gov/fsd/fstamp/. For more information, call MU Extension's Show-Me Nutrition line at 1-888-515-0016.
Last update: Monday, September 16, 2013