Jami Nolen, Nutrition Program Associate
February 20, 2011
In anticipation of warmer weather, here is a Vietnamese sandwich that makes a quick and easy dinner with less than 300 calories per serving!
Makes 6 servings
- 1/2 cup carrots, peeled and shredded
- 1/2 cup daikon radish, peeled and shredded
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2½ tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2½ tablespoons low-fat plain yogurt
- 3/4 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 12-inch baguettes, halved lengthwise
- 1 pound peeled cooked shrimp, tails removed
- 18 thin slices of cucumber
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced lengthwise and cut into 2-inch pieces
- Place carrot, radish, sugar, salt and vinegar in a small bowl; stir to combine. Let marinate while preparing the rest of the ingredients.
- Place cilantro, mayonnaise, yogurt, fish sauce, lime juice and cayenne in a medium bowl; stir to combine. Spread 2 teaspoons of this sauce on the bottom half of each baguette. Add shrimp to the remaining sauce; toss to coat.
- Using a slotted spoon, divide carrot mixture among the baguettes (discard vinegar). Top with shrimp, cucumber and scallions. Cut each baguette into two 6-inch sandwiches.
Nutrition Information (per serving)
4 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono)
153 mg cholesterol
30 g carbohydrates
24 g protein
5 g fiber
504 mg sodium
993 mg potassium
Funded in part by USDA SNAP.
Running out of money for food? Contact your local food stamp office or go online to http://dss.mo.gov/fsd/fstamp/. For more information, call MU Extension's Show-Me Nutrition line at 1-888-515-0016.
Last update: Tuesday, March 26, 2013