March 22, 2009
Spring is here and Easter is on it's way. Risotto is a wonderful addition to any spring get together. This risotto is made with barley, so it's not only tasty but healthy as well.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup minced onion
- 3 cups sliced button mushrooms (about 8 ounces)
- 1 cup uncooked pearl barley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 (14-ounce) cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon trans fat free margarine
Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
Add onions; cook 5 minutes or until tender and golden,
stirring occasionally. Add mushrooms; cook 5 minutes or
until tender, stirring occasionally. Add barley, salt,
and pepper; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add
broth; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer
30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Uncover and cook 5
minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Stir in parsley,
cheese, and margarine.
Funded in part by USDA SNAP.
Running out of money for food? Contact your local food stamp office or go online to http://dss.mo.gov/fsd/fstamp/. For more information, call MU Extension's Show-Me Nutrition line at 1-888-515-0016.
Last update: Wednesday, March 27, 2013