Bean and Kale Soup with Turkey Sausage
Jami Nolen, Nutrition Program Associate
January 27, 2013
This soup is perfect for cool weather and hearty appetites!
Makes 4 servings
- 10 ounce sweet turkey Italian sausage
- Cooking spray
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 (15-ounce) can northern white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups baby kale
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Remove casings from sausage. Cook sausage in a large saucepan coated with cooking spray over high heat until browned, stirring to crumble. Add onion and 2 teaspoons garlic to pan; cook for 2 minutes. Stir in 1/2 cup water, beans, tomatoes, herbs and broth. Cover and bring to a boil. Uncover and cook for 3 minutes or until slightly thick. Remove from heat, and stir in spinach.
- Ladle 1½ cups soup into each of 4 bowls, and sprinkle each serving with 1½ teaspoons cheese.
Calories from fat: 30%
Fat: 8.6 g
Saturated fat: 2.8 g
Monounsaturated fat: 2.7 g
Polyunsaturated fat: 2.5 g
Protein: 20.9 g
Carbohydrate: 23.1 g
Fiber: 5.4 g
Cholesterol: 62 mg
Iron: 3.4 mg
Sodium: 842 mg
Calcium: 105 mg
Funded in part by USDA SNAP.
Running out of money for food? Contact your local food stamp office or go online to http://dss.mo.gov/fsd/fstamp/. For more information, call MU Extension's Show-Me Nutrition line at 1-888-515-0016.
Last update: Wednesday, May 15, 2013