Crunchy Black Bean Tacos
Prepared by: Susan Mill-Gray,
University of Missouri Extension
October 30, 2016
Yield: 8 tacos (2 tacos per serving)
- 2 cups cooked black beans
- 1/2 cup minced red onion
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Pinch of salt
- 1 heaping cup grated Pepper Jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
- 8 corn tortillas
- In a medium bowl, add beans along with red onion, cilantro, cumin, and paprika. Add a pinch of salt and lightly mash all the ingredients together. Grate the cheese and have it ready as well.
- In a large, nonstick or cast-iron skillet, add the 2 tablespoons oil and heat over medium-high heat. Add one corn tortilla at a time and let each get hot in the oil for a few seconds. Then add about 1/4 cup of the bean filling to one half of the tortilla. Top with a sprinkle of grated cheese. Try not to overfill the tacos, or you might have issues flipping them without losing filling.
- Using a spatula, carefully fold the other half of the tortilla over to form a shell. Press down lightly on the tortilla so it holds its shape. As the first taco cooks, move it to the side and begin a second one. Depending on the size of your pan, you can cook two or three tacos at once. A griddle will hold even more.
- Cook each taco until they are nicely browned and crispy, about 3 minutes per side. If your pan is very dry between batches, add another drizzle of oil. Place the cooked tacos in a warm oven while you finish the rest. If the tacos are very greasy, blot them with a paper towel before moving them to the oven. Serve tacos with toppings like hot sauce, salsa, avocados, and light sour cream.
Nutrition information per serving (2 tacos)
Total Fat: 9g
Saturated Fat: 5.8g
Source: adapted The Kitchn
Funded in part by USDA SNAP.
Running out of money for food? Contact your local food stamp office or go online to http://dss.mo.gov/fsd/fstamp/. For more information, call MU Extension's Show-Me Nutrition line at 1-888-515-0016.
Last update: Monday, October 03, 2016