Black Bean Veggie Burger
Prepared by: Susan Mills-Gray,
University of Missouri Extension
February 23, 2014
Yield: 8 patties
- 1 16 ounce can black beans
- 1 16 ounce can kidney beans (white, light red, or dark red)
- ½ 12 ounce jar roasted red peppers
- ½ large onion
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- Egg substitute to equal 3 eggs
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- 1½ teaspoons chili garlic sauce or hot sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt (optional)
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 1¾ cup rolled oats
- Rinse canned beans and drain well.
- In a food processor pulse garlic cloves until minced and then add the onion chopping until finely dice.
- Add the roasted peppers to the food processor and pulse until the onion, garlic and peppers are fully combined.
- Add beans and oil, puree until no individual beans remain.
- To this mixture add the egg substitute, cumin, garlic chili sauce, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
- Mix in the rolled oats until the mixture holds together and can be formed into patties. If it isn't sticking together try refrigerating the mixture for 30 minutes first and lightly oiling your hands so it doesn't stick to skin.
- Divide into 8 patties. Freeze patties on baking sheets and once frozen transfer to freezer bags.
- The patties can then either be grilled after brushing each side with a small amount of oil or baked at 375 for 10 minutes on each side.
Note: This recipe is really just a base, feel free to customize to suit your tastes and what you have on hand. Also, If you are having trouble getting the burgers to stay together trying freezing them first.
Nutrition information per serving (1 patty )
Total Fat: 4g
Saturated Fat: 0g
Funded in part by USDA SNAP.
Running out of money for food? Contact your local food stamp office or go online to hthttp://dss.mo.gov/fsd/fstamp/. For more information, call MU Extension's Show-Me Nutrition line at 1-888-515-0016.p>
Last update: Friday, January 31, 2014