New Year's Black Eyed Pea Stew
Jami Nolen, Nutrition Program Associate
December 26, 2010
makes 8 servings
- 2 (16 ounce) bags of frozen black eyed peas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 8 ounces turkey kielbasa, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 (28 ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 (10 ounce) bag prewashed kale
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion to pan; cook 3 minutes or until tender. Add sausage; cook 4 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Stir in broth; bring to a simmer, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Stir in peas, salt, peppers and bay leaves. Cover and simmer 45 minutes or until peas begin to soften. Uncover and cook 15 minutes or until liquid begins to thicken.
- Stir in vinegar, tomatoes and kale; simmer 10 minutes or until peas are tender, stirring occasionally. Discard bay leaves.
Calories: 235 (19% from fat)
Fat: 5 g (sat 1.1 g, mono 2.4 g, poly 0.9 g)
Protein: 15.5 g
Carbohydrate: 33.7 g
Fiber: 6.6 g
Cholesterol: 17 mg
Iron: 4.4 mg
Sodium: 830 mg
Calcium: 81 mg
Funded in part by USDA SNAP.
Running out of money for food? Contact your local food stamp office or go online to http://dss.mo.gov/fsd/fstamp/. For more information, call MU Extension's Show-Me Nutrition line at 1-888-515-0016.
Last update: Thursday, December 23, 2010