Make Ahead Breakfast Burritos
Prepared by: Denise Sullivan,
University of Missouri Extension
August 6, 2017
Yield: 8 servings (1 burrito per serving)
- 1 cup diced potatoes (1 medium potato)
- 1/2 cup diced onions (1/2 medium onion)
- 1 cup diced red bell peppers (1 medium pepper)
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 8 eggs, beaten
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 ounces 2% fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 (8 inch) whole wheat tortillas
- Spray a large skillet with cooking spray. Cook the potatoes for 5-7 minutes over medium heat. Add onions and peppers to the potatoes. Cook for 3-4 minutes until the potatoes are browned. Add spinach and cook until wilted.
- Add beaten eggs, garlic powder, cumin and pepper to the vegetable mixture and cook for 4-5 minutes over medium heat. Stir frequently until eggs are firm.
- To make each burrito, use 1 tablespoon of cheese and 1/2 cup of the egg mixture in each tortilla. Fold sides of tortilla in and roll up to enclose filling.
- Serve or freeze for later. To freeze the burritos, wrap each burrito tightly in waxed paper. Freeze in a single layer on a cookie sheet. Seal wrapped burritos in a freezer bag when they are frozen. To reheat the frozen burritos: Remove the waxed paper and wrap burrito in a paper towel. Set microwave on medium power. Heat burrito for 2-4 minutes until heated through.
Nutrition information per serving
Total Fat: 11g (4g saturated)
Source: Adapted from Iowa State University Extension
Funded in part by USDA SNAP.
Running out of money for food? Contact your local food stamp office or go online to https://mydss.mo.gov/food-assistance/food-stamp-program. For more information, call MU Extension’s Show-Me Nutrition line at 1-888-515-0016.
Last update: Friday, July 14, 2017