Artichoke, Mushroom and Goat Cheese Breakfast Casserole
Jami Nolen, Nutrition Program Associate
April 28, 2013
Here is a delicious breakfast casserole that would make a great addition to a Mother's Day brunch.
Makes 8 servings
- 1 (8 ounce) package sliced mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3¼ cups 1% low-fat milk, divided
- 1 (8 ounce) carton egg substitute
- 1 (4 ounce) package goat cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 10 (1½ ounce) slices sourdough bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 8 ounces 33%-less-sodium smoked ham, coarsely chopped
- 2 (14 ounce) cans artichoke hearts, drained, rinsed and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded provolone cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Sauté mushrooms in a skillet with 1 teaspoon olive oil.
- Place 1 cup milk, egg substitute and goat cheese in a blender; process until smooth. Combine goat cheese mixture, remaining 2¼ cups milk, black pepper, thyme, mustard, red pepper and garlic in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add bread cubes; stir gently to combine. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Place half of the bread mixture in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange Parmesan cheese, ham, mushrooms and artichoke hearts evenly over the bread mixture. Top with remaining bread mixture and sprinkle evenly with provolone cheese.
- Bake casserole at 350° for 40 minutes or until edges are bubbly. Let stand 15 minutes.
Calories from fat: 29%
Fat: 12.4 g
Saturated fat: 6.9 g
Monounsaturated fat: 3.8 g
Polyunsaturated fat: 0.8 g
Protein: 25.2 g
Carbohydrate: 40.2 g
Fiber: 2.7 g
Cholesterol: 43 mg
Iron: 3.8 mg
Sodium: 1107 mg
Calcium: 331 mg
Funded in part by USDA SNAP.
Running out of money for food? Contact your local food stamp office or go online to http://dss.mo.gov/fsd/fstamp/. For more information, call MU Extension's Show-Me Nutrition line at 1-888-515-0016.
Last update: Tuesday, May 07, 2013