Prepared by: Tammy Roberts,
University of Missouri Extension
March 1, 2015
Yield: 8 servings 1˝ cups per serving
- 1 large onion
- 1 large potato
- 1 medium carrot
- 2 large broccoli crowns
- 1 medium stalk celery
- 1 clove garlic
- 1˝ teaspoons canola oil
- 1 whole bay leaf
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 2 (14˝-ounce) cans low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 ounce low-fat cheddar cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Rinse and peel onion, potato, garlic, and carrot. Rinse broccoli and celery. Dice onion and celery. Slice potato and carrots into thin slices. Cut broccoli florets away from the stem. Slice stems thinly. Mince the garlic and grate the cheese.
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, heat oil. Add celery and onion. Cook until soft and lightly golden brown, about 6–8 minutes.
- Add garlic and stir. Cook about 30 seconds more.
- Add potato, carrot, broccoli stems, bay leaf, milk, and broth to pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until veggies are soft, about 15 minutes.
- Add broccoli florets in the last 10 minutes.
- Remove and discard bay leaf.
- In a blender, puree about half the soup. Return blended soup to pot.
- Add cheese, salt, and pepper. Simmer to melt the cheese, 2–3 minutes.
Nutrition information per 1˝ cup serving
Total Fat: 2.5g
Saturated Fat: 1g
Source: Share Our Strength's Cooking Matters for Adults®
Funded in part by USDA SNAP.
Running out of money for food? Contact your local food stamp office or go online to hhthttp://dss.mo.gov/fsd/fstamp/. For more information, call MU Extension's Show-Me Nutrition line at 1-888-515-0016.
Last update: Friday, April 03, 2015