Brown Rice and Orange Salad
Prepared by: Tammy Roberts,
University of Missouri Extension
May 21, 2017
Yield: 12 servings (1/2 cup per serving)
- 1 cup brown rice
- 4 small clementines or 1 cup mandarin oranges in juice
- 3 green onions
- 1 large lemon
- 1 cup sliced almonds, toasted*
- 1 cup frozen shelled edamame beans, thawed
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- Cook rice following package instructions. Remove from a pan to a large bowl to cool.
- While rice is cooking, prepare the rest of the salad. Peel clementines and tear into segments. Or, if using mandarin oranges, rinse and drain. Rinse and chop green onions. Add mandarin oranges, edamame, green onions, almonds, and dried almonds to the cooled rice.
- Rinse lemon and cut in half. In a small bowl, squeeze juice from both halves and remove seeds. Add honey, and ground black pepper. Slowly whisk in the oil until a dressing forms. Add dressing to the salad. Mix well.
- Let stand at room temperature for 10 minutes for the flavors to combine.
*Note: To toast almonds, spread on a cookie sheet and bake 8-10 minutes until golden brown. Watch closely as they can burn quickly.
Nutrition information per serving
Total Fat: 10g
Saturated Fat: .5g
Funded in part by USDA SNAP.
Running out of money for food? Contact your local food stamp office or go online to https://mydss.mo.gov/food-assistance/food-stamp-program. For more information, call MU Extension’s Show-Me Nutrition line at 1-888-515-0016.
Last update: Monday, March 06, 2017