Butternut Squash Chili
September 20, 2009
Makes 8 servings (serving size: 1 cup)
- 1 pound extra-lean ground beef
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans Mexican-style stewed tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (16-ounce) can chili beans
- 1/2 small butternut squash, peeled and cubed (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup low-sodium beef broth
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- serve with shredded cheese and whole wheat crackers, optional
Cook beef, bell pepper, and next 2 ingredients in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat until meat crumbles and is no longer pink. Drain well, and return to Dutch oven.
Stir in tomatoes and next 7 ingredients; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes.
Stir in corn, and cook, uncovered, 15 minutes or until squash is tender and chili is thickened.
234 (22% from fat)
Fat: 6 g (sat 2.3 g, mono 2.3 g, poly 0.4 g)
Protein: 17 g
Carbohydrate: 30 g
Fiber: 6.8 g
Cholesterol: 21 mg
Iron: 2.9 mg
Sodium: 642 mg
Calcium: 65 mg
Funded in part by USDA SNAP.
Running out of money for food? Contact your local food stamp office or go online to http://dss.mo.gov/fsd/fstamp/. For more information, call MU Extension's Show-Me Nutrition line at 1-888-515-0016.
Last update: Friday, October 09, 2009