Butternut Squash Queso
Prepared by: Susan Mills-Gray, Nutrition Specialist, University of Missouri Extension
October 1, 2017
Yield: 10 servings
(1/4 cup per serving)
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 3/4 cup diced red onion
- 1½ tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsalted chicken stock
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1½ cups butternut squash puree
- 1 tablespoon chipotle hot sauce (or 1 tablespoon minced chipotle chile in adobo sauce, plus 2 teaspoons adobo sauce)
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat four-cheese Mexican-blend cheese, divided
- Heat oil in a medium oven-proof skillet over medium heat. Add red onion; cook until softened. Add flour; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add chicken stock, squash, chipotle hot sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; add ¼ cup mozzarella cheese and ¼ cup Mexican-blend cheese; cook 2 minutes or until smooth, stirring until cheese melts.
- Preheat oven broiler to high. Sprinkle remaining cheeses over top. Broil 2 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and lightly browned.
- Top with radishes, cilantro, green onions and jalapeño, if desired. Serve with baked chips and veggie sticks.
NOTE: For squash puree, roast a halved, seeded butternut squash at 350° for 45 minutes or until soft. Scoop 10 ounces of flesh and use for puree. Frozen butternut squash can also be pureed.
Nutrition information per serving
Total Fat: 4.3g (2.2g saturated fat)
Recipe source: Adapted from Cooking Light
Funded in part by USDA SNAP.
Running out of money for food? Contact your local food stamp office or go online to https://mydss.mo.gov/food-assistance/food-stamp-program. For more information, call MU Extension’s Show-Me Nutrition line at 1-888-515-0016.
Last update: Monday, October 09, 2017