The Works Calzone
Prepared by: Tammy Roberts,
University of Missouri Extension
October 26, 2014
Yield: Makes 8 servings
- 1 large onion
- 1 medium green bell pepper
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- 8 ounces button mushrooms
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 6-ounces grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- 1 frozen or refrigerated whole wheat pizza dough, defrosted
- Non-stick cooking spray
- ¼ teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce, no salt added
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Rinse and peel onion. Rinse peppers, mushrooms, and tomatoes. Dice onion, peppers, and tomatoes into ½-inch pieces. Slice mushrooms ¼-inch thick.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil. Add onions, mushrooms, and peppers. Cook for 3 minutes. Transfer vegetables to a colander.
- Stir in tomatoes. Let sit 3–5 minutes to drain excess liquid.
- While veggies are draining, shape dough into 8 pizza rounds. Use your fingers to stretch and spread the dough on a surface sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Mix dried basil and dried oregano into tomato sauce.
- Cover half the dough with sauce, cheese, and veggies. Fold the dough in half over toppings and seal the edges.
- Bake for 6 minutes; turn over, then bake an extra 6 minutes until both sides are golden brown.
To freeze, cook the calzones until each side is just lightly browned. Remove from oven and cool completely. Wrap in plastic wrap. Place the wrapped calzones in freezer bags for freezer storage. To cook, place frozen calzone on a pan sprayed with non-stick spray in a 350 degree oven. Bake approximately 15 minutes on each side until calzones are heated through.
Nutritional information per calzone:
Total Fat: 9g
Saturated Fat: 3g
Source: Adapted from Share Our Strength's Cooking Matters for Adults®)
Funded in part by USDA SNAP.
Running out of money for food? Contact your local food stamp office or go online to hthttp://dss.mo.gov/fsd/fstamp/. For more information, call MU Extension's Show-Me Nutrition line at 1-888-515-0016.
Last update: Sunday, October 26, 2014