April 4, 2010
1 dozen (serving size: 1 cupcake)
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup finely shredded carrot
- 1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple in juice, well-drained
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, chilled
- 1/8 teaspoon imitation coconut flavor (optional)
- 1 1/3 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons flaked sweetened coconut
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- To prepare cupcakes, beat first 4 ingredients in a mixer at medium speed until well-blended. Add carrot and pineapple; beat well.
- Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 5 ingredients (flour through nutmeg) in a bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Add flour mixture to sugar mixture (from step #2); beat well. Stir in raisins.
- Spoon batter into 12 muffin cups lined with paper liners. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 5 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.
- To prepare frosting, beat the cream cheese and coconut flavor in a mixer at medium speed just until blended. Gradually add powdered sugar (do not overbeat). Spread frosting over cupcakes; sprinkle with flaked coconut. Store, covered, in refrigerator.
220 (27% from fat)
Fat: 6.6 g (sat 2.5 g, mono 1.8 g, poly 1.9 g)
Protein: 2.4 g
Carbohydrate: 38.7 g
Fiber: 0.9 g
Cholesterol: 25 mg
Iron: 0.8 mg
Sodium: 133 mg
Calcium: 38 mg
Funded in part by USDA SNAP.
Running out of money for food? Contact your local food stamp office or go online to http://dss.mo.gov/fsd/fstamp/. For more information, call MU Extension's Show-Me Nutrition line at 1-888-515-0016.
Last update: Friday, February 15, 2013