Cheesy Hamburger Skillet
Prepared by: Kelsey Jeter,
University of Missouri Extension
January 18, 2015
Yield: 4 servings
- 2 cups whole wheat macaroni
- 1 small bell pepper
- 1 small onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 ounces reduced-fat cheddar cheese (3/4 cup shredded)
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes, no salt added
- 1 Tablespoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. In a colander, drain macaroni and rinse with cool water.
- While macaroni is cooking, rinse and dice bell pepper. Peel and finely chop onion. Peel and mince garlic. Set aside. Grate cheese. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook beef, onion, bell pepper and garlic, crumbling the beef with a wooden spoon or spatula, until the meat is no longer pink, about 15 minutes.
- Using a colander, drain off fat. Return to the skillet and stir in drained macaroni, tomatoes with juices, thyme, salt and pepper. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover and cook over medium heat until cheese is melted, 5 to 7 minutes.
Note: Plenty of vegetables could be added to this dish -- fresh or frozen peas, peppers, spinach or other dark leafy greens, broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini or summer
Nutrition information per serving
Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 3g
Funded in part by USDA SNAP.
Running out of money for food? Contact your local food stamp office or go online to hhthttp://dss.mo.gov/fsd/fstamp/. For more information, call MU Extension's Show-Me Nutrition line at 1-888-515-0016.
Last update: Thursday, January 29, 2015