Slow Cooker Chicken Curry with Chickpeas
Jami Nolen, Nutrition Program Associate
October 23, 2011
The weather is chilly and our schedules are full, making it the perfect time to throw something quick and easy in the slow cooker for a hearty dinner.
- 1½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 15-ounce cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine chicken, olive oil, curry powder and salt in slow cooker and toss to coat.
- Sprinkle onions and garlic on top of chicken. Pour tomatoes on top. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- During last hour of cooking, stir in chickpeas. Serve hot over rice or couscous.
Fat: 7 g
Saturated fat: 1 g
Protein: 42 g
Carbohydrate: 22 g
Fiber: 4 g
Cholesterol: 120 mg
Sodium: 823 mg
Funded in part by USDA SNAP.
Running out of money for food? Contact your local food stamp office or go online to http://dss.mo.gov/fsd/fstamp/. For more information, call MU Extension's Show-Me Nutrition line at 1-888-515-0016.
Last update: Thursday, November 03, 2011