Chicken Taco Bowls
Prepared by: Kelsey Jeter
University of Missouri Extension
February 7, 2016
Yield: 8 servings (1 "bowl" each)
- 8 6-inch corn tortillas
- Canola oil cooking spray
- 12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup green salsa
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 cup thinly sliced lettuce
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 2 tablespoons sliced ripe black olives
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Heat tortillas until warm for 30 seconds in microwave. Coat each side of 4 tortillas with cooking spray. (Keep the remaining 4 tortillas covered.)
- Turn a 12-cup muffin tin upside down. Nestle a tortilla in the space between 4 cups to form a “bowl”. Repeat with 3 more tortillas, making 4 bowls total. Bake until firm and beginning to brown, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Repeat with the remaining 4 tortillas.
- Meanwhile, toss chicken with garlic powder and salt in a bowl. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook, stirring, until it is no longer pink on the outside, about 3 minutes.
- Add salsa and cook, stirring, until the chicken is no longer pink in the middle, about 3 minutes more. Cover and remove from the heat.
- Fill each tortilla bowl with about 1/4 cup of the chicken mixture. Top with 1 tablespoon each cheese and sour cream, 2 tablespoons each lettuce and tomato and a few olives.
Nutrition information per serving:
Saturated Fat: 3.5g
Source: Eating Well
Funded in part by USDA SNAP.
Running out of money for food? Contact your local food stamp office or go online to http://dss.mo.gov/fsd/fstamp/. For more information, call MU Extension's Show-Me Nutrition line at 1-888-515-0016.
Last update: Friday, March 04, 2016