April 11, 2010
10 servings (serving size: about 3/4 cup)
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup uncooked whole wheat couscous
- 2 cups chopped seeded roma tomato
- 1 cup diced, peeled and seeded cucumber
- 1 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup grated carrot
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 (15½-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Bring broth to a boil in a medium saucepan, and gradually stir in couscous. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 5 minutes. Place couscous in a large bowl, and cool completely. Fluff with a fork.
- Stir in tomato, cucumber, and next 4 ingredients (through chickpeas); toss well.
- Combine oil and the remaining ingredients in a small bowl; stir with a whisk.
- Add oil mixture to couscous mixture just before serving; toss gently.
Calories: 132 (24% from fat)
Fat: 3.5 g (sat 0.4 g, mono 2.2 g, poly 0.7 g)
Protein: 4 g
Carbohydrate: 21.4 g
Fiber: 3 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Iron: 0.9 mg
Sodium: 246 mg
Calcium: 29 mg
Funded in part by USDA SNAP.
Running out of money for food? Contact your local food stamp office or go online to http://dss.mo.gov/fsd/fstamp/. For more information, call MU Extension's Show-Me Nutrition line at 1-888-515-0016.
Last update: Friday, April 16, 2010