Chili with Butternut Squash and Olives
Jami Nolen, Nutrition Program Associate
October 9, 2011
This recipe is a classic tailgating favorite with a twist!
- 1 pound extra lean ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 3 cups chopped tomato
- 3 cups chopped peeled butternut squash
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1½ teaspoons dried oregano
- 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1½ teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (16-ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives
- 6 tablespoons thinly sliced green onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Combine the first 3 ingredients in a Dutch oven, and cook over medium-high heat until browned, stirring to crumble.
- Drain well; return meat mixture to pan. Stir in tomato and next 9 ingredients (tomato through garlic); bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until squash is tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in olives; cook 5 minutes.
- Ladle chili into soup bowls, and top each serving with 1 tablespoon green onions and 1 teaspoon cilantro.
Calories from fat: 23%
Fat: 6.8 g
Saturated fat: 2 g
Monounsaturated fat: 3 g
Polyunsaturated fat: 0.9 g
Protein: 22.9 g
Carbohydrate: 30.1 g
Fiber: 5.6 g
Cholesterol: 46 mg
Iron: 5.3 mg
Sodium: 444 mg
Calcium: 94 mg
Funded in part by USDA SNAP.
Running out of money for food? Contact your local food stamp office or go online to http://dss.mo.gov/fsd/fstamp/. For more information, call MU Extension's Show-Me Nutrition line at 1-888-515-0016.
Last update: Tuesday, October 11, 2011