Chocolate Zucchini Bread
Jami Nolen, Nutrition Program Associate
July 24, 2011
Makes 2 loaves (8 slices per loaf)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups grated zucchini (1 medium zucchini)
- Preheat oven to 325° F. Coat two 8½ x 4½-inch loaf pans with cooking spray.
- Spread walnuts in a pie pan and bake until fragrant, 5 to 7 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Whisk all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
- Whisk eggs, sugar, applesauce, oil and vanilla in another large bowl until blended. Add to the dry ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula until just combined. Fold in zucchini and the reserved walnuts. Spoon the batter into the prepared pans, smoothing the tops.
- Bake the loaves 55 to 60 minutes, or until the tops are golden and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Invert onto rack and cool completely.
8 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono)
40 mg cholesterol
38 g carbohydrates
4 g protein
3 g fiber
143 mg sodium
97 mg potassium
Funded in part by USDA SNAP.
Running out of money for food? Contact your local food stamp office or go online to http://dss.mo.gov/fsd/fstamp/. For more information, call MU Extension's Show-Me Nutrition line at 1-888-515-0016.
Last update: Wednesday, March 27, 2013