Chocolate Zucchini Cupcakes
Prepared by: Susan Mills-Gray,
University of Missouri Extension
July 3, 2016
Yield: 1 dozen
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- 1 cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup honey, divided in half
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup flaxseed, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided in half
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup cocoa, unsweetened
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line muffin cups with paper liners.
- Put grated zucchini in paper towels and squeeze out as much water as possible. Set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, add applesauce, vanilla extract and 1/4 cup honey; mix thoroughly.
- Add flours, baking soda, baking powder, flaxseed, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and other spices; mix well.
- Add cocoa and mix thoroughly.
- Add zucchini mixture and stir thoroughly.
- Fill paper liners with chocolate zucchini batter to 3/4 full. Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center of cupcake.
- Mix 1/4 cup honey with 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon in small bowl. Before serving, drizzle honey mixture over cupcakes as icing.
Nutrition information per serving (1 cupcake)
Total Fat: 1.5g
Saturated Fat: 0g
Source: adapted from American Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Funded in part by USDA SNAP.
Running out of money for food? Contact your local food stamp office or go online to http://dss.mo.gov/fsd/fstamp/. For more information, call MU Extension's Show-Me Nutrition line at 1-888-515-0016.
Last update: Thursday, July 07, 2016