Coconut Cream Pies
Jami Nolen, Nutrition Program Associate
May 8, 2011
Here is a guilt-free dessert! These mini creations are dairy free and contain soy protein.
Makes 6 servings
- 1/2 cup sweet flake coconut
- 6 ounce soft silken tofu, drained
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 14-ounce can light coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon coconut extract
- 6 mini graham cracker pie crusts
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Spread coconut on baking sheet and toast 5 minutes or until golden, shaking pan occasionally.
- Blend tofu in blender or food processor 2 to 3 minutes, or until smooth. Set aside.
- Whisk together sugar and cornstarch in saucepan. Whisk in coconut milk and cook over medium-high heat for 8 minutes or until thickened, whisking constantly.
- Remove pan from heat. Fold in tofu, vanilla and coconut extracts, and coconut. Divide among mini pie crusts, and chill.
Protein: 3 g
Total Fat: 13 g
Saturated Fat: 6 g
Carbs: 37 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 134 mg
Fiber: 1 g
Sugar: 18 g
Funded in part by USDA SNAP.
Running out of money for food? Contact your local food stamp office or go online to http://dss.mo.gov/fsd/fstamp/. For more information, call MU Extension's Show-Me Nutrition line at 1-888-515-0016.
Last update: Wednesday, March 27, 2013