Cranberry Scone gift mix
Jami Nolen, Nutrition Program Associate
December 12, 2010
Here is another budget-friendly, delicious gift from the kitchen for the holidays.
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats, uncooked
- 1¼ cups flour
- 1/4 cup (packed) brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
Put the ingredients above into a decorative jar or bag and attach a card with all of the following information for the gift recipient:
How to bake the scone mix
- 1 container scone mix
- 1 large egg
- 5 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Grease a cookie sheet with cooking spray. Place scone mix in large bowl.
- Beat egg in a medium bowl with a fork; reserve 1 Tbsp. of the beaten egg to brush on scones before baking. Add oil, milk and vanilla extract to remaining egg in bowl and beat with a fork until blended. Pour over scone mix and stir with spoon just until dry ingredients are moistened. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Scrape dough onto prepared cookie sheet and pat into a 6-inch round. Cut round into 6 wedges with a floured knife and brush with reserved beaten egg.
- Bake 16 to 18 minutes, or until golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Serve warm or transfer to wire rack to cool.
Total fat: 6 g
Cholesterol: 65 mg
Sodium: 238 mg
Total carbohydrates: 43 g
Dietary fiber: 2 g
Protein: 5 g
Funded in part by USDA SNAP.
Running out of money for food? Contact your local food stamp office or go online to http://dss.mo.gov/fsd/fstamp/. For more information, call MU Extension's Show-Me Nutrition line at 1-888-515-0016.
Last update: Wednesday, March 27, 2013