Creamy Soup Base and
California Medley Cheese Soup
Prepared by: Tammy Roberts,
University of Missouri Extension
October 19, 2014
Creamy Soup Base
Yield: Makes 3 cups
- 2 cups nonfat dry milk
- ¾ cup cornstarch
- ¼ cup instant chicken bouillon
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon basil
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Be sure all equipment and ingredients are dry. Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl. Mix well.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
California Medley Cheese Soup:
Yield: Makes 5 servings
- 1½ cups frozen chopped broccoli, cauliflower and carrots
- 3 cups boiling water
- 1 cup dry creamy soup base mix
- ¾ cup cold water
- ¾ cup grated cheese
- Add 1½ cups frozen chopped vegetables to three cups boiling water and cook slightly.
- Mix one cup of creamy soup base mix with ¾ cup cold water in a small bowl.
- Add cold soup mix to boiling water when vegetables are crispy and tender.
- Add two tablespoons of grated cheese to each bowl just before serving.
- Cover and refrigerate leftovers within two hours.
Nutritional information per 1¼ cup serving:
Total Fat: 4.5g
Source: University of Missouri Extension’s Two Meals for Ten Bucks series available at: http://extension.missouri.edu/p/N989
Funded in part by USDA SNAP.
Running out of money for food? Contact your local food stamp office or go online to hthttp://dss.mo.gov/fsd/fstamp/. For more information, call MU Extension's Show-Me Nutrition line at 1-888-515-0016.
Last update: Monday, October 20, 2014