Deconstructed California Rolls
Prepared by: Amy Vance,
University of Missouri Extension
August 21, 2016
Yield: 4 servings (1 jar per serving)
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 avocados diced, brushed with lemon juice to prevent browning
- 2 cucumbers diced
- 4 seaweed sheets (Nori) -- optional
- 1 cup tuna, packed in water
- 4 12-ounce canning jars
- Heat the vinegar and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved. While your brown rice is still warm, pour the vinegar-sugar mixture and soy sauce over it and toss to combine. Let cool to room temperature.
- Assemble each jar in the following order:
- First (bottom) layer: 1/2 cup rice
- Second layer: 1/2 cup cucumber (or 1/2 cucumber)
- Third layer: 1 sheet of seaweed cut into small pieces if using
- Fourth layer: 1/4 cup tuna
- Fifth layer: 1/2 cup avocado
- Store in the refrigerator until ready to eat. When ready to serve, dump jar's content into a bowl, toss, and enjoy.
Nutrition information per serving (1 jar)
Total Fat: 3.5g
Source: modified from Recipe Corner
Funded in part by USDA SNAP.
Running out of money for food? Contact your local food stamp office or go online to http://dss.mo.gov/fsd/fstamp/. For more information, call MU Extension's Show-Me Nutrition line at 1-888-515-0016.
Last update: Monday, August 01, 2016