Deep Dark Chocolate Cake
Prepared by: Susan Mills-Gray, Nutrition Specialist, University of Missouri Extension
May 20, 2018
May 19 was National Devil Food Cake Day! Celebrate by making this healthier version of dark chocolate cake.
Yield: 8 servings
- 3 bananas, ripe
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt (vanilla or plain)
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 1 egg
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- Mini chocolate chips for sprinkling on top (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350º F. Spray an 8-inch square pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a blender, combine the bananas, Greek yogurt, honey, vanilla and peanut butter. Blend until smooth, 1-2 minutes. Pour the blended mixture into a mixing bowl.
- Add the egg and mix in. Add the flour, cocoa powder and baking soda, mix until incorporated. Add the 1/2 cup of chocolate chips, mix.
- Pour the cake into the prepared pan. Sprinkle additional chocolate chips on top of the cake if desired. Bake for 27-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Nutrition information per serving
Total Fat: 5.8g (2g saturated fat)
Recipe source: https://thefirstyearblog.com/healthier-chocolate-cake/
Funded in part by USDA SNAP.
Running out of money for food? Contact your local food stamp office or go online to https://mydss.mo.gov/food-assistance/food-stamp-program. For more information, call MU Extension’s Show-Me Nutrition line at 1-888-515-0016.
Last update: Tuesday, June 05, 2018