Jami Nolen, Nutrition Program Associate
June 26, 2011
Makes 4 servings
- 1 peeled eggplant, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices (about 1¼ pounds)
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 (8-ounce) package presliced mushrooms
- 1 cup diced zucchini
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1 cup pasta sauce, divided
- 2/3 cup (about 3 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh parmesan cheese
- Preheat broiler.
- Arrange the eggplant slices on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; broil 3 minutes on each side or until lightly browned.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat; add onion and next 5 ingredients (onion through zucchini). Cover and cook 7 minutes or until tender, stirring mixture occasionally. Increase heat to medium-high; uncover and cook for 2 minutes or until liquid evaporates.
- Spread half of mushroom mixture in bottom of a 1½-quart round baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange half of eggplant slices over mushroom mixture; sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Top with 1/2 cup pasta sauce and 1/3 cup mozzarella. Spread remaining mushroom mixture over mozzarella; top with remaining eggplant slices. Sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon pepper; top with remaining pasta sauce. Cover and bake at 375° for 1 hour.
- Sprinkle with 1/3 cup mozzarella and parmesan. Bake, uncovered, 5 minutes or until cheese melts. Let stand 10 minutes.
Calories from fat: 30%
Fat: 5.6 g
Saturated fat: 3.2 g
Monounsaturated fat: 1.5 g
Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5 g
Protein: 10.9 g
Carbohydrate: 21 g
Fiber: 6.1 g
Cholesterol: 16 mg
Iron: 2.1 mg
Sodium: 369 mg
Calcium: 236 mg
Funded in part by USDA SNAP.
Running out of money for food? Contact your local food stamp office or go online to http://dss.mo.gov/fsd/fstamp/. For more information, call MU Extension's Show-Me Nutrition line at 1-888-515-0016.
Last update: Monday, February 18, 2013