Festive Fall Fruit Crisp
November 21, 2010
If you are looking for an easy and nutritious dessert for Thanksgiving, try this recipe - it's full of fall flavor.
- 2½ pounds Granny Smith apples, peeled (optional), cored and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 16-ounce can whole berry cranberry sauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Combine apples, cranberry sauce and lemon juice in a large bowl. Transfer to a 9½-inch deep-dish pie pan.
- Whisk oats, flour, walnuts, brown sugar and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk apple juice concentrate and oil in a small bowl until blended; drizzle over dry ingredients and mix with your fingers until moistened.
- Sprinkle over apples. Bake until apples are tender and top is golden, 40 to 45 minutes.
(Per serving - 8 servings)
6 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono)
0 mg cholesterol
62 g carbohydrates
3 g protein
5 g fiber
89 mg sodium
266 mg potassium
Funded in part by USDA SNAP.
Running out of money for food? Contact your local food stamp office or go online to http://dss.mo.gov/fsd/fstamp/. For more information, call MU Extension's Show-Me Nutrition line at 1-888-515-0016.
Last update: Thursday, December 16, 2010