Fruit and Nut Breakfast Bars
Jami Nolen, Nutrition Program Associate
August 19, 2012
Back to school means crazy mornings trying to get the kids out the door in time. Sometimes that means a rushed breakfast, having the kids grab whatever they can. Try making this healthy breakfast bar that the kids can grab on the way out the door. Healthy breakfast equals healthy minds!
Makes 8 bars
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/4 cup chopped peanuts
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 cup unsweetened whole-grain puffed cereal
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/3 cup chopped raisins
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Coat an 8-inch square pan with cooking spray.
- Spread oats, peanuts, sunflower seeds and sesame seeds on a large, rimmed baking sheet. Bake until the oats are lightly toasted and the nuts are fragrant, shaking the pan halfway through, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl. Add flaxseed, cereal, cranberries, apricots and raisins; toss to combine.
- Combine peanut butter, sugar, honey, vanilla and salt in a small saucepan. Heat over medium-low, stirring frequently, until the mixture bubbles lightly, 2 to 5 minutes.
- Immediately pour the peanut butter mixture over the dry ingredients and mix with a spoon or spatula until no dry spots remain.
- Transfer to the prepared pan. Lightly coat your hands with cooking spray and press the mixture down firmly to make an even layer (wait until the mixture cools slightly if necessary). Refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes; cut into 8 bars.
Nutrition Information per serving:
10g fat (1g saturated fat, 5g monounsaturated fat)
15g added sugars
Funded in part by USDA SNAP.
Running out of money for food? Contact your local food stamp office or go online to http://dss.mo.gov/fsd/fstamp/. For more information, call MU Extension's Show-Me Nutrition line at 1-888-515-0016.
Last update: Tuesday, August 18, 2015