Gazpacho with Shrimp and Avocado
Jami Nolen, Nutrition Program Associate
April 29, 2012
Perfect for Cinco de Mayo or summer get-togethers — a cold gazpacho with shrimp and avocado.
- 1 pound frozen cooked and peeled shrimp, thawed and chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 pound plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeds removed, and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2½ cups low-sodium vegetable juice
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped red onion
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and diced
- Combine 3/4 cup bell pepper and next 10 ingredients (through vegetable juice) in a blender; process, leaving it chunky. Stir in shrimp.
- To prepare relish, combine 1/4 cup bell pepper and remaining ingredients.
- Top soup with relish.
Fat: 9 g
Saturated fat: 1.4 g
Monounsaturated fat: 4.6 g
Polyunsaturated fat: 1.7 g
Protein: 26 g
Carbohydrate: 17.5 g
Fiber: 6.2 g
Cholesterol: 172 mg
Iron: 3.9 mg
Sodium: 675 mg
Calcium: 105 mg
Funded in part by USDA SNAP.
Running out of money for food? Contact your local food stamp office or go online to http://dss.mo.gov/fsd/fstamp/. For more information, call MU Extension's Show-Me Nutrition line at 1-888-515-0016.
Last update: Tuesday, March 26, 2013