Grilled Banana Splits
Prepared by: Susan Mills-Gray,
University of Missouri Extension
July 16, 2017
Yield: 4 servings (1 banana per serving)
- 4 bananas
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 4 ounces dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup fat-free ice cream
- 1/4 cup ice cream sprinkles
- 4 Maraschino cherries
- Cut a small piece off the curved side of 4 unpeeled bananas so they sit level, then make a deep slit down the center of each through the peel; place on four separate sheets of heavy duty non-stick aluminum foil. NOTE: If using heavy-duty aluminum foil that is not non-stick, apply spray oil before adding ingredients.
- Open the slits and brush the inside of each banana with melted butter, then sprinkle with 1 ounce chocolate chips; fold up the foil.
- Grill the packets over high heat until the chocolate melts, 6 to 8 minutes (don’t worry if the peel turns brown).
- Open the peels and top the bananas with ice cream, sprinkles and a cherry. Whipped topping may also be added if desired.
Nutrition information per serving
Total Fat: 10.4g (6g saturated)
Source: Adapted from www.verywell.com
Funded in part by USDA SNAP.
Running out of money for food? Contact your local food stamp office or go online to https://mydss.mo.gov/food-assistance/food-stamp-program. For more information, call MU Extension’s Show-Me Nutrition line at 1-888-515-0016.
Last update: Friday, July 14, 2017