Grilled Tomatoes, Okra & Onions
Jami Nolen, Nutrition Program Associate
August 28, 2011
Visit your local farmers' market this weekend and buy all the makings for an end-of-summer BBQ including meat, fresh herbs and vegetables. These veggie skewers will make a great addition to the menu!
- 2 small onions, each cut into 8 wedges
- 24 okra pods (about 3/4 pound), trimmed
- 16 cherry tomatoes (about 1/2 pound)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Cooking spray
- Prepare grill.
- Divide each onion wedge into 2 equal pieces. Thread 3 okra pods, 2 cherry tomatoes, and 2 onion pieces alternately onto each of 8 (12-inch) skewers.
- Combine olive oil, kosher salt and the remaining ingredients (except for cooking spray) in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Brush olive oil mixture over the skewers.
- Place the skewers on a grill rack coated with cooking spray, and grill skewers for 3 minutes on each side or until tender.
Calories from fat: 49%
Fat: 2.4 g
Saturated fat: 0.3 g
Monounsaturated fat: 1.7 g
Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3 g
Protein: 1.3 g
Carbohydrate: 5.5 g
Fiber: 1.9 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Iron: 0.5 mg
Sodium: 241 mg
Calcium: 42 mg
Funded in part by USDA SNAP.
Running out of money for food? Contact your local food stamp office or go online to http://dss.mo.gov/fsd/fstamp/. For more information, call MU Extension's Show-Me Nutrition line at 1-888-515-0016.
Last update: Thursday, September 01, 2011