Ham and Leek Frittata
April 5, 2009
Easter is just a week away and what should we make for that upcoming brunch? How about a frittata? Quick, easy, and delicious, this frittata is the way to go! Frittata can also be a quick and easy dinner, just add a salad and you've got dinner under control and in 20 minutes!
- 1 lb. lean ham, diced
- 4 eggs and 8 egg whites
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 can artichoke hearts, rinsed and chopped
- 1 cup thinly sliced leeks (white and light green parts)
- 1/2 cup grated fontina cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
Makes 6 servings
1. Preheat oven to 450° F. In a 10-inch ovenproof
nonstick frying pan or well-seasoned cast-iron skillet,
cook leeks and sauté in cooking spray until softened, 1
to 2 minutes. Reduce to medium heat.
2. Whisk together eggs, milk, chives, salt and
pepper. Stir in ham and artichoke hearts.
3. Add egg mixture to skillet and stir to combine.
Cook 1 minute, then gently stir in 1/4 cup fontina and
the parmesan. Cook without stirring until edges of
frittata are set and the center is still a bit soft,
about 2 minutes (edges should appear firm when pan is
gently shaken; the top layer should appear wet).
4. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup fontina over top and
transfer skillet to preheated oven. Bake until eggs are
fully set and the top is light golden brown, 5 to 7
minutes. If top has not browned, broil frittata about 5
in. from heating element, keeping oven door ajar, until
lightly golden, about 1 minute.
5. Slice frittata into wedges. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Funded in part by USDA SNAP.
Running out of money for food? Contact your local food stamp office or go online to http://dss.mo.gov/fsd/fstamp/. For more information, call MU Extension's Show-Me Nutrition line at 1-888-515-0016.
Last update: Wednesday, March 27, 2013