Ham and Spinach Dip
Prepared by: Tammy Roberts,
University of Missouri Extension
February 2, 2014
Yield: 4 ½ cups dip
- 1 ½ cups ground 93% lean ham (about ½ pound)
- 1 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 cup dry curd cottage cheese
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- ½ cup light mayonnaise
- 2 green onions, chopped (include tops)
- 1 teaspoon “light” seasoning or other reduced sodium seasoning blend
- 1 loaf round rye bread or French bread
- Combine margarine and dry curd cottage cheese in blender. Blend at a low speed until creamy. Be patient, it will take a few minutes, but don’t try to hasten it by adding liquid.
- In mixing bowl, combine ground ham, spinach, blended cottage cheese and margarine, yogurt, light mayonnaise, green onions and seasonings. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- With a sharp knife, cut top 1/3 off round rye loaf or French bread. Hollow out loaf, leaving a 1-inch thick shell. Cut bread into 1-inch cubes. Store bread cubes and shell in plastic bags until ready to serve.
- Just before serving, toast bread shell in 400 degree oven for 8 minutes (this prevents the dip from soaking into bread shell).
- Place the ham and spinach mixture in the bread shell.
- Serve with reserved bread cubes and vegetables.
Nutrition information per 1 Tablespoon serving
Total Fat: 1g
Funded in part by USDA SNAP.
Running out of money for food? Contact your local food stamp office or go online to http://dss.mo.gov/fsd/fstamp/. For more information, call MU Extension's Show-Me Nutrition line at 1-888-515-0016.
Last update: Friday, January 31, 2014