Prepared by: Amy Vance
University of Missouri Extension
November 29, 2015
Yield: 8 servings (1½ cups each)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon curry powder, plus a bit more for serving
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1½ pounds sweet potatoes (about 2 small), peeled and chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 8 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1¾ teaspoons salt
- 1 apple
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Ground black pepper
- In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring frequently, until soft and translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add the curry powder and cook a minute more.
- Add the carrots, sweet potatoes, chicken broth and salt and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over low heat until vegetables are very tender, about 25 minutes.
- Stir in the apples and honey.
- Using a stick blender, puree the soup until smooth and creamy.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper and more honey if necessary
Nutrition information per serving:
Source: Modified by Amy Vance from www.onceuponachef.com
Funded in part by USDA SNAP.
Running out of money for food? Contact your local food stamp office or go online to http://dss.mo.gov/fsd/fstamp/. For more information, call MU Extension's Show-Me Nutrition line at 1-888-515-0016.
Last update: Monday, November 30, 2015